Grievance Procedure

Internal Complaint Process:

Students should make a good and fair effort to resolve issue informally with the person or department involved. It is the priority and hope of MTCVI that issues will be resolved at the informal level. If an issue cannot be resolved at the informal level, students have the right to file a formal complaint about unsatisfactory situations if all attempts to resolve the situation have failed. MTCVI encourages students to communicate freely with administration, faculty, and staff before filing a formal complaint. 

MTCVI believes that this communication can often resolve unsatisfactory situations at an informal level. Currently enrolled students at MTCVI that have unsatisfactory situations involving grades, policies, procedures, decisions, or conditions can file formal complaints with the MTCVI Administrative Director at 397 Wallace Road Building C Suite 214 and can be reached at (615) 499-4102. All submissions of unsatisfactory situations are taken very seriously, and will be resolved in a timely manner. 

1. If informal discussions with MTCVI personnel have not resolved the issue, the individual shall submit a written or recorded complaint to the Administrative Director, within ten (10) working days of the event(s) that triggered the complaint.

2. The Administrative Director shall meet with the individual within ten (10) working days of the receipt of the complaint to reach a resolution informally. 

3. If an informal resolution cannot be reached the Administrative Director will gather with the internal complaints committee to investigate the complaint. This committee will be chaired by Administrative Director, and consist of the Program Director and Director of Instruction. The investigation will proceed promptly.

4. Within five (5) working days following the conclusion of the investigation, the chair of the internal complaints committee will provide its recommendation. 

5. Within fifteen (15) working days of the receipt of the recommendations from the committee, the Program Director will make a decision regarding the complaint and provide a written notice of the decision to all parties involved. 

External Complaint Process:

Students are urged to exhaust all possible internal avenues for resolution before filing complaints with external agencies. In the event that an issue cannot be resolved by MTCVI, the student has the right to contact the state of Tennessee and its appropriate agencies to determine the course of action.

  • Complaints related to the application of state laws or rules related to approval to operate or licensure of a particular professional program within a postsecondary institution shall be referred to the appropriate State Board (e.g. State Board of Health, State Board of Education) and shall be reviewed and handled by that board. See the Tennessee State Government website ( and search for the correct division.

  • Any person claiming damage or loss as a result of any act or practice by this institution that may be a violation of the Title 49, Chapter 7, Part 20 or Rule Chapter 1520-01-02 may file a complaint with the Tennessee Higher Education Commission, Division of Postsecondary State Authorization (DPSA). The THEC DPSA is located at Parkway Towers, 4400 James Robertson Parkway Suite 1900 Nashville, TN 37243. The phone number is (615) 741-5293 and the fax number (615) 532-8845. See the Tennessee State Government website ( and search for the appropriate division.

  • Complaints related to state consumer protection laws (e.g., laws related to fraud or false advertising) shall be referred to the Tennessee Division of Consumer Affairs and shall be reviewed and handled by that unit (